Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Let no fiber be unused...even dryer lint!

Years ago I was collecting dryer lint for use in art projects, until I was convinced by my DH that it was a fire trap. I was able to wean myself off the addiction of saving box-fulls of the stuff. However, so often those sheets of lovely lint that I pull off the screen are just too interesting to discard, so I thought I'd try to preserve this particularly pretty  piece that was the result of the first washing of a set of purple bedsheets.

I layered a piece of cotton broadcloth and the sheet of lint, sprinkled on a few snippets of metallic cords and a spattering of glitter, covered it with illusion netting and a piece of water-soluble stabilizer, then topstitched random wavy lines of stitching to hold it together. As I rinsed off the stabilizer I thought the lint might also wash away, but it didn't! This is the result, and I plan to use it either in a wearable garment or purse.

Fun with fiber!

No comments:

Post a Comment