Saturday, September 17, 2011

Sew What???

This was my first week of teaching adult sewing classes at Hancock Fabrics. What an eclectic and enthusiastic group! They were all so focused and intent on learning!

I find it hard to believe there are those who never learned to sew. It’s such a useful craft! I was blessed to have a competent Home Economics teacher, a loving, talented, patient and encouraging mother, and a skilled and “critical” grandmother whose voice I still hear telling me to “press open those seams.” I guess I just figured all women are raised in this manner, just as I assumed all men were taught how to use tools and build things. But I was wrong on both genders, and now I have found a niche: teaching sewing to those who have not yet learned.

It’s never too late . . . watch out, Project Runway!

No comments:

Post a Comment